Meopham Windmill
Wrotham Road
Meopham Green
DA13 0QA

Meopham Windmill (formerly known as Killick Mill) was built in 1819 by the three Killick brothers reputedly from old ships timbers purchased from Chatham Dockyard. It is one of a handful of six-sided smock mills in the UK, eight being the usual number. The mill’s black smock tower stands on a brick base of two storeys. The mill stands preserved with all its milling machinery including three pairs of millstones. The Windmill is a grade 2* listed building. It is now owned by Kent County Council and leased to the Meopham Windmill Trust, which also owns the land around the mill (the 'Windmill Garden'). The former engine shed is currently used by Meopham Parish Council as its Parish Office. The hexagonal base of the windmill is often used for Parish Council meetings and forms a very unusual council chamber, possibly the only one of its kind in the country.

Kent has many other interesting windmills. The website for the Union Mill in Cranbrook has an excellent page of links to other windmills in Kent that are open to the public.

The Windmill is currently under restoration to working order. It will be closed to the public except on a limited basis for most of 2023 and will reopen fully in 2024. For more information, please contact the Meopham Windmill Trust:

Volunteers Wanted
Meopham Windmill Trust is looking for volunteers to "man" the mill on occasional Sunday afternoons from April to September 2pm to 4.30pm. You do not have to be an expert on windmills as there is plenty of information available to all our visitors. You just need to be in attendance and collect any money for purchase of souvenir badges, books, pencils etc. Entry to the mill will be free, but we welcome donations.

Home   History   Restoration    Fund Raising    Mechanical Details    News Update    Trustees

Meopham Windmill       

A drawing c 1865 used by J & W Norton on their invoices

This site is maintained on behalf of the Meopham Windmill Trust
Trustee Login