Meopham Windmill (formerly known as Killick Mill) was built in 1819 by the three Killick brothers reputedly from old ships timbers purchased from Chatham Dockyard. It is one of a handful of six-sided smock mills in the UK, eight being the usual number. The mill’s black smock tower stands on a brick base of two storeys. The mill stands preserved with all its milling machinery including three pairs of millstones. The Windmill is a grade 2* listed building. It is now owned by Kent County Council and leased to the Meopham Windmill Trust, which also owns the land around the mill (the 'Windmill Garden'). The former engine shed is currently used by Meopham Parish Council as its Parish Office. The hexagonal base of the windmill is often used for Parish Council meetings and forms a very unusual council chamber, possibly the only one of its kind in the country.
Kent has many other interesting windmills. The website for the Union Mill in Cranbrook has an excellent page of links to other windmills in Kent that are open to the public.
The Windmill is currently under restoration to working order. It will be closed to the public except on a limited basis for most of 2023 and will reopen fully in 2024. For more information, please contact the Meopham Windmill Trust: email@example.com
Home History Restoration Fund Raising Mechanical Details News Update
The windmill as it will look when restored.
Phases 1 & 2 of the windmill's restoration was completed in 2021. They were financed by KCC with the aid of a £25,000 grant from Historic England's Heritage At Risk Emergency Fund.
Phases 3 & 4 of the restoration will be financed and managed by KCC with the assistance and support of MWT and MPC. The planned work will cost approximately £200,000.
Donations towards the cost of the restoration and landscaping works would be welcomed.
This site is maintained by the Meopham Windmill Trust